Another member of the spark* family – spark*EL
spark*EL is an upward extension of spark*. This time it’s for children from middle childhood to early adolescence. You don’t need to do spark* first. spark*EL is a comprehensive, standalone program.
Like spark*, spark*EL is based on well-researched theory and extensive clinical experience. It helps children learn how and when to control their bodies, thinking and reactions to things that happen around them. They also learn when and where they can ‘let loose’ and not worry about self-regulation.
spark*EL is appropriate for any child, 9 to 14 years of age, where self-regulation is a concern. It’s especially geared to children with autism spectrum disorders, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, Fragile X and attention deficit.
spark*EL has three units that focus on behavioral, cognitive and emotional self-regulation. The book contains 23 step-by-step lessons that can be used by teachers, therapists, assistants and parents.
spark*EL is comprehensive, practical and systematic. It provides all information and resources needed to implement the program successfully. After buying spark*EL, you’ll have access to 39 resource files that include printable materials, 12 parent/teacher newsletters, and internet resources.
Unique features of spark*EL
- Focus on critical foundation skills for learning: behavioral (body), cognitive and emotional self-regulation – not just teaching children to calm themselves.
- Emphasis on five major executive functions, the critical link between knowing and doing. Executive functions included: Planning & organization, Inhibitory control, Working memory, Self-monitoring, Cognitive flexibility.
- Teaching strategies to help children calm themselves, become more resilient and cope more easily in everyday settings.
- Systematic withdrawal of adult direction. This moves each child toward self-direction so they become more independent.
- Direct teaching of skill and strategy generalization. This helps children learn where and when to use self-regulation.
- spark*EL can be integrated into classroom and therapy programs as well as into daily family life.
Learn more about the spark* family by subscribing to spark* News
Resources and samples for spark*EL:
Sample chapter spark*EL – Chapter 4 Introduction to the sparkEL model
List of resource files available to people who buy the spark*EL program: Resources available to buyers of the spark*EL program
Sample spark*EL lesson – sparkEL Lesson 1 body self-regulation.
Sample spark*EL newsletter – sparkEL NEWSLETTER No. 1