spark* is an innovative, evidence-based program that teaches children how to manage and regulate their behavior, thinking and emotions more effectively.
The groundbreaking spark* program is based on well-researched theory and extensive clinical experience. It helps children learn how and when to control their bodies, thinking and reactions to things and events around them. They also learn when and where they can ‘let loose’ and not worry about self-regulation.
spark* is appropriate for any child, two to 8 years of age, where self-regulation is a concern. It’s especially geared to children with autism spectrum disorders, fetal alcohol spectrum disorder, Fragile X and attention deficit.
The book contains 44 step-by-step lessons that can be used by teachers, therapists, assistants, and parents.
Available in paperback and ebook
spark* is comprehensive, practical and systematic. It provides all information and resources needed to implement the program successfully. After buying spark*, you’ll have access to 75 resource files that include printable materials, 18 parent/teacher newsletters and internet resources.
Unique features of spark*
- Focus on critical foundation skills for learning: behavioral (body), cognitive and emotional self-regulation – not just teaching children to calm themselves.
- Emphasis on five major executive functions, the critical link between knowing and doing. Executive functions included: Planning & organization, Inhibitory control, Working memory, Self-monitoring, Cognitive flexibility.
- Teaching strategies to help children calm themselves, become more resilient, and cope more easily in everyday settings.
- Systematic withdrawal of adult direction. That is, we move toward self-direction by children so they become more independent.
- Direct teaching of generalization of self-regulation skills and strategies. Children are helped to learn where and when to use their skills and strategies.
- spark* can be integrated into classroom and therapy programs as well as into daily family life.
Learn more about spark* by subscribing to spark* News
Resources and samples for spark*:
Sample chapter – The Autistic Childs Guide 2013 – Chapter 9
Sample spark lesson – Behavioral Self-regulation awareness of hand control
List of resource files available to people who buy the spark* program: Resources accompanying the spark* program
List of topics included in spark* parent/teacher newsletters: List of content of the 18 spark* newsletters
Sample spark* parent/teacher introducing spark* NEWSLETTER No. 1
Here’s one for the Cognitive self-regulation unit NEWSLETTER No. 9
Read an article from AuKids Magazine about spark* to get an idea of some of the skills and strategies.