Here are some examples of objects that can help children regain self-regulation. There are many possibilities but I’ve included a few of my favorites. All are available on line from a variety of vendors – please do comparative shopping to get the best price and quality.
- Tents – indoor tents let children feel the comfort of a small, pleasant confined spaces.
- Lava lamps – watch the bubbles gurgle through
- Liquid timers – watch the bubbles move up and down and around
- Hammocks – get a soothing squeeze and move back and forth or side to side
- Weighted blankets and objects – give soothing, centering pressure
- Earphones – block out sounds or channel favorite music/sounds
- Trampolines – get deep pressure by bouncing on the trampoline; get one with a handle bar so your child is less likely to fall
- Ball pit – feel the balls enclosing around your body